This past weekend my family decided to trade in the turkey and pumpkins for red and green. We (okay, my husband) dug through the attic and pulled out box after box labeled "Christmas". If it weren't for the excitement of three little kids waiting anxiously downstairs, the sea of green tubs that filled our bonus room might have made the merriest of person feel like the Grinch!
While we began sorting through the bins of tree bulbs and bows, I noticed my youngest daughter playing with a string of lights. As she sat there, with the little twinkles glowing around her tiny silhouette, I couldn't help but stop. I wanted to capture that sweet moment and lock it away in my memory bank forever.
I pulled out my camera and not only snapped a few pictures, but found myself joining in. My other daughter, not wanting to miss a minute of the fun, quickly jumped in and we shared giggles, a few shameless selfies, and I was a K I D again (if only for a brief moment).
It was in that moment that I realized, what could have been an annual holiday chore, immediately turned into something so much more special. A memory was made and we were enjoying what was the start of one of my favorite times of the year.
It also made me wonder, have we lost the true joy in the season? Are we more worried about whether our tree meets par to the neighbors? Or about snagging that next new "thing", that we're willing to risk our dignity, and a limb or two, just to save a few bucks on "stuff" that will quickly be yesterday's news?
When I replay the reel of holiday memories from my childhood, they are filled with frozen sled-rides in the backyard... a living room filled with family elbow to elbow... and a house my father decked like the Griswolds (truth...almost). I have these memories because my parents did something that I will forever cherish, they took the time to invest in making the most of the Christmas season.
As we look ahead to this Christmas season my hope is that you will not be anxious about your growing to-do list, or how many miles will be logged on the minivan, and whether or not the little lights are twinkling (I know, Art. Thanks for noticing).
And when it comes time for gifts, be intentional about the gifts you give. Don't simply give a gift that will quickly be forgotten or thrown away, but give something that will...
Make memories for a lifetime
Help someone reach a goal
Bring laughter and fun to the family
Allow someone to dream again
Be shared among friends
'Tis the season to make some memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment